Image above: hidden/revealed, acrylic & ink on aluminum, 17.5 x 23.5 inches

Friday, April 29, 2016

Searching for Home


Well a home.

For three days I've been researching and visiting galleries here in Albuquerque.  I've talked to a lot of people: gallery owners, gallery employees, other artist encountered in galleries or over the Net.

I'll continue on with this until I do find an art home here, but I know that ultimately I must once again look to the wider world of the art-gallery-complex [not unlike the military-complex] in all of it's intricate dances of posturing and art-speak.  Looking beyond this place, this state.

When I was in the Chicago, and other mid-western art markets [Omaha is great btw] there were many opportunities; someone would call me and say, "Blah-Blah gallery needs a one person show, I thought of you, call so and so, be nice and I think you'll do well there."  Stuff like that.  Produced from a network of friends, gallery owner, and causal meetings.  I've been somewhat lazy creating such a network here, I'd rather do art, look at art, and enjoy the New Mexico vibe of clean air, blue skies, deep deserts and high forested mountains; but lazy or not I meet people, get interested in what others are doing and want to go to their shows.

So now, what's happening is I've been here long enough that the network of acquaintances has started to create a synergy of connections.  Something like a mellow chain reaction.  Having realized this yesterday I truly started to push the curve of building that kind of energy.  I've found some galleries I'm interested in and seem initially interested in me.  Made some presentations yesterday, as I did so decided I wasn't interested in them so much.  The two today that I responded too, and I had walked into 7 places, I think i'll pursue to get 'represented', actually there is a third, but I think the work i'm designing now will be more interesting to them, so laters on that one.

I was reading an on-line article of the ABQ gallery scene from 2007, remember 2007, before the great recession when sales were good and often.  Seems galleries here were struggling with thin margins, low sales even then, god the recession must have been a bloodbath here.  There were gallery website links, about 7-9, and only two of those listed still existed.

So this week ends on a good spot, much more hopeful of finding my little art children a new home; having a plan really is the best LOL.

~tim

No comments: