Image above: hidden/revealed, acrylic & ink on aluminum, 17.5 x 23.5 inches

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Step Stumble - Gyotaku/acrylic



Ah, I know this but sometimes forget and go running in the dark with scissors:  I am a process artists, pre-planning, what Ansel Adams called pre-visualization, is not my forte as it always leads me astray. Well it did with the fish prints mounted over an under painted surface.

After multiple tries of mounting the paper, both tissue and various good washi papers, on to various designs both simple and complex, I find that the transparency/opacity of the fish print paper is too variable for me to control; that the strength of design is un-interesting; that on the best attempts the result is soulless.

So, I really like the fish prints, and will play [such a better word than 'plan'] with various colorations and multiple printing on paper, displayed perhaps in a more traditional way like floated, matted or perhaps hung banner style.

Time to get back into that meditative zone of process that consumes me so nicely.

Next up: a day trip to Bandelier National Monument, which will be a long day, 2 hours each way, but the forecast is 70f and cloudy, so great for photography and hiking.  I'd wanted to camp overnight with my brand new tent [North Face Talus 2] but not enough time this week. I did set it up in the backyard today, tent design has gotten wild lol, but 'twas easy set up.


~tim

No comments: