Image above: hidden/revealed, acrylic & ink on aluminum, 17.5 x 23.5 inches

Friday, March 11, 2016

2nd Step: Gyotaku

The fish.  Inking and printing off of a fish onto paper is called Gyotaku, and was invented by the Japanese fishermen to record the type and size of their catch.  Today one can still use real fish, but most often -especially for us desert types - rubber models are used.  Gyo means fish, taku means print.  Its pronounced ghe-yo-tah-koo.

Yep getting the technique of making a decent fish print.  Started with an acid neutral tissue paper [Staples] and printed until I got the feel of how much ink/pressure then re-started with some expensive Japanese paper Sekishu - natural.  Expensive is relative in this case it's 14 cents vs 3.45/sheet; as printing papers go really not expensive.

See: Graphic Chemical & Ink  for supplies, and also The Japanese Paper Place for more info on Japanese papers.

Click on image for larger view.


Blue Gill,  Akua carbon black ink
on Sekishu paper

This requires a very delicate touch to transfer the ink, it is very easy to over/under 'rub' the paper.  My first 6 on tissue paper were fairly poor, then I found the pressure sweet spot.  Unfortunately the Sekishu, while very thin, was not as thin & transparent as the tissue, so I had/have a tendency to over-rub the paper.  I think I was relying on what I saw from the back to much when using the tissue, so now I've got to focus on the finger pressure and not go over a spot again.   It's strangely soothing to do these, so unlike using an etching press or book press which are more about muscle than touch.

So now I'm working on the mounting on gessoed board.  I've done one, and while the process was fairly straight forward, the results were poor as far as judgements on under painting colors and intensity.  More experimentation, but i've a number of small boards ready with three coats of gesso.

BTW I haven't abandoned polymer plates, I'm just waiting to afford my next plate order!  But what I do with the results of the polymer plates and the mounting of the fish prints will work together, as my plan is to do the same with the images from the plates - much more mixed media than straight print making. 

Someone once said to me "If there is a hard way to get to where you want to go, you'll pick that path everytime."  So true.  But that's why I'm a process artist - the trip is more fun than the destination.

~tim

No comments: