Image above: hidden/revealed, acrylic & ink on aluminum, 17.5 x 23.5 inches

Saturday, July 2, 2016

New abstract


    This new abstract painting, hanging in my dining room so that I can live with it for a bit.  I find over this past month that i'm seeing unconsciously selected organizations in color and line.

Or perhaps I'm simple making patterns where none were intended - they really were not intended, but that takes me back to the unconscious . . .  and so forth.

15 high by 9 inches wide.  Which I just realized is close to the golden ratio.


untitled as of yet

    Had an opening last night with 2 other artists, another abstract painter and a fine art potter.  The potter did well, us abstract folks not so much.  There was a problem with standing space for the food table being about 8 feet from the walls where the paintings were hung, and it was also the narrowest of 4 rooms and acted as a hallway from entrance room into rooms 3 & 4.

I only talked to 4-5 people that were stopped and looking at my works, about the same for the other guy.  Abstraction per se seems to be a problem in this area for the public.  Many more were engaged in front of the more realistic works in the gallery than the abstract.  I had my first set of photogravures hanging as well [see the earlier blog entry photogravure in April ] and most seem to respond favorably to those images and not comment on the colorful acrylic abstracts; again, realism vs abstraction. 

PS: there are 3 other new works in June postings as well.

~tim

2 comments:

Unknown said...

love the luminousity

ana bernardes said...

Hi Tim!
I love this 'explosion' of the pink tones and red above the calm blue tones. Still, a bit of dark red escaping into the blue-and you know...i can't avoid to see figures!!and i see two, like in a conversation inside the blue and surrounded for a bright greenish luminosity.
I read what you wrote and i truly believe that is possible that patterns and colors, 'fall' without your intention, and that they are taking you, to deep places of the unconscious...and i KNOW that you will let YOU go on this ! and that you will let it happens as much as it will. This is Art, Tim:) I only can say that i do love this much!

** i've seen all that you posted. Is great! Congratulations in everything !**

ana